Get Some Sleep!! – I am always amused by people that tell me they only need about 4-5 hours of sleep a night. Well you know how much I like research, and studies show that people who sleep 7-9 hours a night actually live longer than those sleeping less. Also, sleeping on average 7-9 hours a night decreases your chance of obesity.
Tips to better sleep:
1) Have a regular sleep schedule – Try to go to bed at around the same time every night and get up at around the same time every day.
2) Nap to make up for lost sleep, rather than sleeping later than normal.
3) Develop a bed-time routine – Just like we do for our children, it is important to do for ourselves. Try a warm bath, read a book or magazine, simple stretching can all help.
4) A balanced diet and exercise: As I have mentioned before, each healthy habit is not independent of the others. Eating right and getting exercise can actually help you sleep better. Avoid eating a meal 3 hours before bed, or you may suffer sleep problems. Exercise, but not right before bed, can also help you sleep better.
5) Attempt to alleviate stress and anxiety: While this is easier said than done, stress and anxiety can lead to insomnia. Again exercise, as mentioned above, can help with this as well.
If you have trouble sleeping after trying these tips, then talk to your healthcare provider. Did you know that trouble sleeping and daytime sleepiness, can be the cause of sleep apnea? Does your partner say you snore or even stop breathing at night? This is an epidemic in our nation. Sleep apnea is easily diagnosed with a sleep study. A painless and important screening tool. It can save your life. Sleep apnea left untreated can cause obesity, high blood pressure, enlargement of the heart and even death. Sleeping is serious business!!
If you would like further information about the importance of good sleep, feel free to click the link provided!